PENGOO Snow Cream: For a Birthday Ice Treat

Pengoo, the Penguin
Pengoo Snow Cream is a small, newly opened ice dessert shop located at the 2nd floor of Divisoria Archade, above Jonie's Chicken.

My friend, Eponine wanted to celebrate her birthday and she had heard about the place from a co-worker. She invited me to celebrate with her. I didn't quite know what to expect except I knew we would be having desserts because that was what she told me.

My first impression was that I found the restaurant itself very endearing with cartoons of their mascot, Pengoo everywhere from walls to tables. Pengoo is an original design made by whom I believe is one of the owner's friends.

The ambiance is fun and cute. It is a great place to go with your friends who want to try something new.



Instead of a menu, you'll find steps to design your own ice cream. I literally got excited like a little kid since it would be my first time making ice cream modeled after my own taste.

Steps

The first step is to choose the size of your cup. They have small, medium and large.

The next step is to choose the flavor of your ice cream. There is a variety to choose from. They have fruity flavors like lychee, honey dew and strawberry. For people with a sweet tooth, they also have chocolate and vanilla. 

You have the option of adding toppings and I highly recommend it as well. It is important to match your toppings in order to enjoy it fully. If you aren't sure, the staff will be very happy to assist you. 

You also have the option of choosing more than one.  If you choose more than one, the drizzle comes free. Like the toppings, it is also important to match the drizzle well. Again, the staff will accommodate you if you yourself are uncertain.

One of the things I was pleasantly surprised with is how friendly the staff is. They are patient while you decide and offer recommendations if you ask for them. I don't think any person would dislike that kind of service.

Snow Cream 


Chocolate Ice Cream with Kitkat,
Choco Drops and Caramel Drizzle 
First up is the birthday girl's choice and she has a sweet tooth that can probably rival mine.

She chose a chocolate ice cream, with kitkate bits and chocolate drops. To finish it off, it is then drizzled with caramel. Just looking at it sent me on a sugar rush.

This may come to a surprise though, but what I liked about it is that it isn't overwhelmingly sweet. It isn't too sweet despite the toppings, but I wouldn't call the taste weak either. The best way to describe it is that it is like eating chocolate snow, which makes me think of something out of the Nutcracker ballet.

Matcha Green Tea with Red Monggo,
Honey Dew and drizzled with Condensed Milk
Considering how I love my sweet tooth, my own selection surprised me.

I chose Matcha Green Tea with honey dew, red monggo toppings and drizzled with condensed milk.

Admittedly, I was one of those people who needed help. The one thing I definitely wanted to try that time was the Matcha green tea, but I wasn't sure at all what to with the add-ons so I asked the staff for their recommendations.

This was the result and while I thought the combination was rather strange at first, it all worked really well together and I enjoyed it. The taste of the tea is very subtle and the taste really went well with the sweetness of the condensed milk. All in all, I'd say it was a satisfying order.

Vanilla with Oreo Crumble, Chocolate Vermicelli
and drizzled with Chocolate. 
The birthday girl's friend seems to have a sweet tooth as well. This one is in the category of the familiar. I enjoy eating sundaes so I know that it doesn't take rocket science to know that vanilla really goes well with chocolate. It is also one of my favorite combinations.

He really likes vanilla, so it wasn't surprising that this was his first choice.

His creation was vanilla ice cream, topped with Oreo crumble, chocolate Vermicelli and chocolate drizzle. If you a fan of sundaes and such, I think this is very much the combination you might like to give a try.

Lychee Ice Cream with Strawberries,
Rainbow Sprinkles and Strawberry drizzle

This next one belongs to another of the birthday girl's friends.

I have to admit that presentation-wise I thought this was the cutest.

This is lychee ice cream topped with strawberry bits, rainbow sprinkles and drizzled with strawberry syrup.

I like the combination of the red and rainbow sprinkles. It is just all very pretty. Unfortunately, I am not the biggest fan of lychee. Still, maybe someday I'll try something of the like. It can't be helped because I adore strawberries and it doesn't hurt that it is pretty as well.

Last but not least, this came from another of her friends. This creation is probably the most eccentric one of the bunch in my opinion. Not a bad thing though if you are the type who enjoys experimenting on flavors.

Lychee Ice Cream with Mango bits
and Chocolate drizzle. 
This is a lychee ice cream with yellow mango bits and chocolate drizzle. I admit that I am a little curious how this combination tasted like. I've tried the combination of mango and chocolate before, but I am not sure if I can imagine how both would taste with lychee. Then again, maybe it is just because I don't have much of an imagination for these things. Someday, maybe I'll try it.

However, before then there are still plenty of combinations and flavors I want to try. I can't wait to go back and maybe bring some of my friends so I can see what tickles their taste buds,


2 comments:

  1. who's birthday? Also...uwaaahhh! Those look cute and yummy ;-; perfect for dumaguete (kay igang kaayo diri even though it's raining...I miss the coldness ng CdeO ;-;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend, Margo. They are good and I think you will like them since they aren't too sweet. I think you would like the Matcha! --- and I miss you!

      Delete

 
A Sweet World, Blog Design by Ipietoon